Finding A New Home That You Love
A house is just a house until you choose it as your home. If you’re going to create a home, you need to start with a place to call your own. After that, it becomes more than just a place, it becomes an extension of you. To us, there is nothing greater than helping people find a house and providing resources and input to help turn that unique place into a functional home they love.
We find our job so rewarding! Helping clients buy a home is about so much more than an MLS search and a financial transaction. There are many more aspects to understand in order to assure that all parties are completely satisfied with a home purchase. We want our clients to truly love the home they purchase and be extremely satisfied with the process. In order to achieve satisfaction on all ends, the real estate journey must begin with a plan, where we listen to their needs and understand their goals.
Whether you are familiar with the Main Line or are new to the area, our team can help you find your next home around the Main Line.
Tips For Buying a Home
Always Think Resale – In the US, due to the mobility of our economy, the length of ownership is about 5 to 7 years. This is important to keep in mind when looking for your next home. For instance, homes backing up to a busy street or railroad sell for less and take longer to sell than other homes in the neighborhood.
Aesthetics Can Be Changed – flooring, light fixtures, plumbing, paint colors, and wallpaper can all be changed. Don’t let the lime green wallpaper turn you off of your potential dream home. All our buyers receive 4 hours with Marie, our interior decorator. You can have her help you with paint colors, room designs and much more. All of our buyers also have access to Duddy Construction if you want accurate information on costs of repairs or potential renovation projects. Think of how much fun it will be to make a home yours!
Identify Your “MUST HAVES” and “WISH LIST” – No matter what your budget, there is no such thing as a perfect home. By focusing on the “must haves” and realizing that you’re probably going to have to make some concession on your “wish” list, this will give you an advantage when you’re looking for a new home. Don’t let an item on your wish list stop you from buying a great home that meets all your needs.
Buying A Main Line Home
1.Find A Main Line RealtorWho you works with matters. From finding the right home, to selecting a mortgage to negotiating the best price and terms, an effective Realtor is a huge advantage. Our team has the knowledge and experience that come from years of helping both buyers and sellers. We also have a team of professionals waiting to help our clients throughout the process such as lenders, lawyers, home inspectors, contractors, interior designers, movers, etc.
Our team specializes in homes around the Main Line and it’s where we live. Really understanding the Main Line area and sharing this knowledge allows us to match our clients with the right home in the right neighborhood.
2. See What You Can AffordGetting prequalified with a mortgage lender should be the first thing that you do when considering a new home. We work with trusted lenders who we trust and recommend to clients. The mortgage calculator below is a great tool, but speaking with a lender is most important when buying a home.
(Does Not Include Property Taxes)
3. Location, Location, LocationThe desirability and resale value of your home-to-be depend more on location than any other single factor. Although we often discuss the Main Line as a single area, the Main Line sprawls over 15 miles and is made up of over 16 unique towns. Learn more about these unique towns along the Main Line here. See car and train travel times into Philadelphia, average price ranges and much more.
Study the Main Line area by reviewing our map, researching past home sales and touring neighborhoods.
School districts are important to most home buyers along the Main Line. Often people determine that they only want to search homes within a specific school district. For those new to the Main Line, it can be confusing to learn that some towns such as Wayne are located within 3 different counties and have 3 different school districts.
4. Narrow Down Your Main Line Home SearchOnce you know where you want to live, you will want to narrow down your search. By focusing in type of home that you want and the area where you really want to live, you will be in a better position to purchase. Seeing recent home sales will give you an idea of values in your target neighborhood. By learning more about where you want to live, you will be better equipped to identify a great house when it comes on the market.
(Coming Soon Search Form For Sold)
Once you know where you want to live and have researched the market, you’ll be better equipped to identify a great house when it comes on the market. Being there first is often the key to getting the home you want. Sign up for our new listing alert.
(Coming Soon New Listing Alert Here)
We have relationships with many Realtors in the area and are often aware of listings that are coming before they hit the market. If we know exactly what you want, our team will proactively seek out potential homes that meet your need.
5. Learn About the Main Line Home MarketSee how Inventory, Sales Trends, and Average Days on Market impact values for each township along the Main Line. There are many different niche markets within the Main Line area due to price ranges, location and type of homes. These metrics are meant to give you an overview of the market, but our team can discuss the current market conditions for your specific home search. Knowing whether it’s a sellers or buyers’ market will impact how you structure an Agreement of Sale.
These metrics are updated monthly from data in the TREND MLS.
6. You’ve Found A Home!
We will include any contingencies that you will want to include in your offer, such as Home Inspection, Wood Inspection, Radon, Mortgage and Appraisal. We will request your desired settlement date. With your offer we will include all your financial information, and a “Buyer Profile” which will help personalize you to the sellers. We will communicate with the listing agent throughout this entire time to ensure that we are aware of any multiple offers or any other issues that will impact the sale.
We will review closing costs and any additional out of pocket expenses such as a home inspection which aren’t generally included in your closing costs, so you know exactly how much things will cost. We will also review all the deposit due dates so you can plan to have the funds available.
7. Getting to the Settlement TableWe will make sure that we’re abiding by all the timelines for inspection contingencies, deposit due dates & mortgage approval dates. Title Insurance and property insurance will be ordered during this time. Arrangements will be made for home utilities, including electric, telephone, cable, water, etc. We will also schedule a pre-settlement walk-through prior to settlement. At this point you can also reach out to Marie for your four hours of complimentary interior design service or schedule any renovation projects with Duddy Construction that you want completed after settlement.
Let’s Get Started Today!
Berkshire Hathaway Home Services
Fox & Roach Realtors
What Our Clients Say
"Haven combines an incredible eye for style and design with cutting edge knowledge of the real estate market to provide an unparalleled service. When it was time to sell, Haven came over to our house and staged our home. She changed the curtains, moved some furniture around, even bringing over pieces of furniture from her house to make our home picture perfect. We listed our house and received multiple offers within a few days. After all the negotiations we were able to secure an offer above our list price. I would definitely recommend her to anyone looking to sell their home. She is friendly and professional. She is any seller's dream!"
"I have known Haven for many years and have worked with her once in 2009 to sell my house and then again in 2011/2012 to purchase a home. Both times she was very knowledgeable about the housing market and provided constant data on the market environment. She is very thorough and effective when dealing with other agents. She has an extremely professional attitude and therefore, she gets the best result possible for her client."